Saturday, February 2, 2013

Selecting the Rock

The first step in I-SEARCH, selecting a topic, can be broken down into three components.
  1. Exploring a Topic
  2. Discussing Ideas
  3. Browsing Resources
In the first blog, I already talked about selecting the topic.  I like the term "explore."  Reiterating what I said in the first blog, research is an action process, while explore exemplifies an action.  Also, the term excites me personally when someone says we are going to explore something.

In discussing ideas, I found myself pacing around the room contemplating whether I should narrow my topic to only one aspect of curling.  I began the thought about researching the rules of curling, but felt that would be too narrow.  I thought about doing a paper about the history of curling, but that would not teach me how to curl.  At that point, I realized that I need to link my thoughts to "what does one need to know before they take to the ice and curl?"  I consider my thoughts here as part of the intrapersonal learning process.  As I pictured in my mind how these papers might "look" as they were completed, I felt it was time to make a mind concept map which might clear things up a bit.  The mind concept map reinforces my visual learning and mathematical learning styles.  Librarians have been utilizing mind maps for research to break down complex subjects (Murley, 2007).  Murley states a mind map has some advantages of over traditional outlines in that they can include pictures, are non-linear, and develop branches of subtopics (Murley, 2007).

The following figure demonstrates that map.


Wow!  I think that looks nice.  I can now research my paper in segments.  I can find supportive information from different resources about each segment.  I still do not have the proper terminology, but when I go to look at resources, I can develop terminology and search terms.

I decided to do a quick Google search and Wikipedia search about curling.  Here are some of the resource links I gathered:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling
http://www.curlingbasics.com/

Reflection Moment:  Should I be using Wikipedia for background information or information literacy?  Well, after reading Using Wikipedia to Teach Information Literacy by Jennings, I have no doubt that librarians should teach how to use Wikipedia.

          "by utilizing Wikipedia as a teaching instrument, librarians can help remove he stigma 
          from this resource and instill in students the tools and abilities necessary to be critical 
          thinkers and lifelong learners in using all information sources." - (Jenings, 2008)

Jennings points out that utilizing Wikipedia follows ACRL standards 1-5 and, in the article, gives the specifics.  I felt this is a really awesome article for evidence as why to use Wikipedia for information literacy.  So, yes, I will accept Wikipedia for background information.
If I had more time, I would want to find books about curling.  I found out that Ancilla College has no books on curling.  Hmm... I need to correct that problem.  Time to switch to another library, let's try the Plymouth Public library:
Curling for dummies by Bob Weeks  :         796.964 WEE   2006
For the love of curling Annalise Bekkering : 796.964 BEK   2007
I find it hard to believe that this library only has two books on curling!

While I did fully read these articles, I was taking mental flashes of the information segments.  This matches with my visual learning, and possibly with linguist learning.  A full discussion on my learning style will be included in the next blog.

I feel I have completed the I-SEARCH step selecting the topic. 

Reflection Moment:  Selecting one's own topic is part of the I-SEARCH process, but the learner needs to understand some information literacy practices.  Just saying "discuss ideas" does not equate to the practice of narrowing or broadening a topic.  Browsing resources might be overwhelming to a user.  Maybe recommending sources to a learner would help limit the confusion, or "research anxiety."  I consider myself an experienced researcher; therefore, broad directions, such as discussing ideas, and browsing resources do not intimidate me.  A college student might be a little overwhelmed by where to start looking for information.  I am still enjoying this process, and still think it is logical.  A librarian can refine it to the research level of the learner.   

References

Jennings, E. (2008). Using Wikipedia to Teach Information Literacy. College & Undergraduate Libraries, 15(4), 432-437. Retrieved on 01/31/2013 from http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy2.ulib.iupui.edu/login.aspx?direct=true&db=llf&AN=502937604&site=ehost-live.

Murley, D. (2007). Mind Mapping Complex Information. Law Library Journal, 99(1), 175-183. Retrieved on 01/31/2013 from

   

No comments:

Post a Comment