Friday, February 1, 2013

Finding the Target


The next part of I-SEARCH is using information.  In this part of I-SEARCH the researcher is to take notes and analyze the information.

As stated before, I found information on rules of curling.  I need to summarize that information.  I would take notes such as depicted below:

An official Olympic curling game consists of 10 ends.  An end is much like a a bowling frame.  Just like in bowling, each player on the team shoots the rock twice.  The last rock shot in the end is called the hammer.  After the hammer is thrown, the rocks are scored (see scoring section). 

I am not going to drone on and on about all the rules. 

I already can tell I am going to have a terminology section.
A scoring section will be need be added, as well.

Scoring:

The rock closest to the center is counted as one point.  If the same team has thrown another rock which stops the next closest to the center, then they are awarded another one point.  However, if the opposing team has their rock as next closest the center, then no additional points are rewarded.

Reflection Moment:  An important point to take home here is that learners need to condense the material found and properly cite the information.

The Lesson:

I want to point out that at the lesson a lot of things about the mechanics of the game were not covered in any of the information.  For this assignment, the lesson is where a great deal of information was experienced and obtained.  I want to emphasize no matter of books and videos can possibly do curling justice.  I was so sore after that one two-hour lesson, and we only played 2 ends and practiced a little before.  The instructor said we had slid around for about a mile.  My upper thighs got a serious workout from launching off the starting position.  My arms ached from the sweeping of the broom.  I was not the only one coming out of that lesson saying "I did not realize how much curling could wear you out."  Yes, I am out of shape, but I still use my elliptical bike for 45 minutes, three times a week.  This lesson of curling was tougher than that.

Notes on the lesson will be good, but an interview with the instructor would have been more powerful.  Unfortunately, I did not get an interview.  However, I did get a few pictures.  Pictures will work, I wish I had taken more pictures, but I was so busy trying to learn that I did not get many.

Reflection MomentBesides taking notes, learners will need to understand how to conduct interviews, take pictures, and record videos.  While some of these skills fall under media literacy, they would be appreciated in the realm of information literacy.  The following picture, from Enders' article on Mapping Disability-Relevant Resources, suggests the relationship of media literacy and information literacy.





The following diagram from the article "Information Reserve to Media Literacy Learning Commons: Revisiting the 21st Century Library as the Home for Media Literacy Education" demonstrates media literacy skills which are closely related to I-SEARCH. 







References

Mihailidis, P., & Diggs, V. (2010). From Information Reserve to Media Literacy Learning Commons: Revisiting the 21st Century Library as the Home for Media Literacy Education. Public Library Quarterly, 29(4), 279-292. Retrieved on 02/01/2013 from
http://search.ebscohost.com.proxy2.ulib.iupui.edu/login.aspx?direct=true&db=llf&AN=503000156&site=ehost-live.


Enders, A., & Brandt, Z. Mapping disability-relevant resources. Map. Journal of Disability Policy Studies [serial online]. Spring 2007;17(4):227. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed December 14, 2007.




No comments:

Post a Comment